Five (5) Easy Steps to Corporate Workplace Wellness Challenges & Opportunities for Engagement.
by Laurel Walzak
August 14, 2015
One of the best corporate wellness activities ever initiated, with the greatest engagement level, occurred a few years ago. I joined my fellow colleagues in the corporate boardroom for a 3pm stretch session. It was all of 15 minutes to a Richard Simmons Video (LINK and SOURCE: Richard Simmons leads Fun Stretches for Desk Workers https://youtu.be/iD6NDkGYmPw via @YouTube). We all showed up, we all laughed our heads off, we all participated in the stretches, mimicked Richard Simmons, and we all went back to our desks happier and ready to get back to work. Here are words to describe the experience: workplace satisfaction; positive mood; and simply team fun!
And so, here are some steps to creating an Active Corporate Workplace - Create Challenges and/ or an Opportunity for Engagement!
1. Recruit a Health & Wellness Committee
2. Create the Corporate Challenge or Activity
Decide if the challenge is between the individual employees or a team of employees to compete.
Define the category for the challenge for example:
Physical Activity - 10,000 steps a day, mid-afternoon stretch in a boardroom, stake the stairs, walk at lunch, stand during lunch
Nutrition - Drinking water vs. pop or juice, skip the food court and bring healthy lunch to work, fruit and vegetable Fridays or healthy snacks only at your desk
General Health - Weight loss, attend a lunch and learn seminar on health related topics, only speak positive for the day
Create Your Own - Brainstorm and create your own category
Pick the challenge and get ready to compete for bragging rights!
3. Incent for Participation
Encourage participation throughout entire organization. There are no limits to who can be involved, so be inclusive. Incent for participation
- Monetary - Sign up and receive your own health and wellness gift under $10.00 items with higher value (athletic socks, stretching bands, corporate branded water bottle), Gift certificate for local grocery store for healthier food or earn tickets for a grand prize draw entry.
- Non-Monetary - Set a goal for 80%+ participation = All company jean day
4. Reward for Effort and Success
- Monetary - Gift certificates from health partners and don't be afraid to ask your wellness and health partners to donate prizes.
- Non-Monetary - All company jean Friday, certificate/ medal and ceremony presentation to put the lunch room for individual or team bragging rights, decorate your office or cubicle to celebrate the winning employee or team
5. Have FUN and Create Another Challenge
Do not stop at one challenge, plan for the year! Reap the positive benefits associated with employee engagement.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Also in WalkTop™ News
Did you make any New Year resolutions? Are they ambitious “stretch targets” to get healthy and work out at the gym every day? Is 2018 the year that you are going to be thinner and in better shape?
Another year is yet again coming to a close. It’s around this time that we often look back fondly over the accomplishments and adventures of the year, feeling nostalgic and reminiscent. And as New Year’s Eve approaches, we prepare to celebrate and lift our drinks into the air in a toast to the year to come. But when that countdown finally finishes and we all joyously yell “Happy New Year!”, what comes next?
The holiday season doesn’t have to be all about indulgence (well, maybe just a little). This year, you can share the gift of health and wellness with your loved ones with products that help you take even better care of yourself throughout the whole year. There are so many great ideas out there for people seeking healthy lifestyles – especially from local Canadian businesses. With New Year’s just around the corner – and those pesky resolutions, too – we’ve compiled a quick gift guide that gives you a helpful head start. It’s time to make our health our top priority!